Animals come in all shapes and sizes. So do the trench drains used in animal-related applications. The most effective drainage system will change depending on whether the application is a kennel, a farm or ranch, or a zoo.
Kennels, particularly larger ones, tend to install trench drains at the back of a row of animal enclosures. This allows employees to hose animal waste from the enclosures quickly, but it also means that animals can get their claws stuck in the grating. An optimal system is lightweight, pre-sloped, and able to support a catch basin/sediment basket combo while offering perforated or slotted grating.
- Dura Slope, by NDS, is a durable HDPE plastic system offering plastic slotted or perforated grates. Popular in kennels, this pre-sloped system also has a catch basin-sediment bucket combination to filter out solid debris while draining away liquid waste.
- Z886, by Zurn, is a sturdy HDPE plastic drain that comes in 80" lengths (2 meters) instead of the shorter sections offered by Dura Slope. With its in-line catch basin and sediment bucket, the Z886 system is an asset in kennel applications. (To read our Dura Slope vs. Z886 comparison blog, click here.)
Commercial farms and ranches see more action than the average residential barn. Situated in barn aisles, commercial barn drains not only see mud and animal stool but tractors and transport trailers. For this reason, drains in this application setting are often less about animals and more about load class.
- Polycast 700 Series, by Hubbell, is a frame-reinforced polymer concrete channel. The channel itself is compression resistant, so adding a frame allows large animals and farm vehicles to cross the drain without stressing the system.
Animal weights can skyrocket in zoo wash bay applications, so trench drains need to be able to handle the strain. Drainage systems can be fitted with heavy-duty stainless steel and ductile iron slotted grating to handle big animal loads. Wider systems may be required for such heavy water flow.
- Z882, a 12" wide pre-sloped system by Zurn, can be reinforced with a stainless steel frame to withstand large animals. In addition, the Z882 drains large water flows because the HDPE material of the channel does not absorb liquid.
In addition to those listed above, many other products are available. Please call 866-570-2333 with any questions you have about the drainage systems listed above or the application.
Food service applications call for strict sanitary environments that can be sterilized easily without harming the trench drain. Sometimes the size of a food preparation area calls for wide drains capable of withstanding heavy food carts rolling over them. A major emphasis is put on non-slip surfaces, inconspicuous drains and durability.
- Stainless steel systems are a popular way to prevent bacteria growth. Off-the-shelf stainless models are available in many sizes by companies such as Blücher and Zurn. For specific applications requiring custom drains, Trench Drain Systems works with a team of fabricators to make both channel body and grating to exact specifications.
- Ductile iron or heavy duty stainless grating are recommended for heavy fork truck traffic areas or applications where equipment carts or food trays will be rolling over. Openings need to be small enough that wheels will not be snagged.
- For an inconspicuous, high capacity drain in a meat prep area, consider a stainless steel slot drain. Slot drains drain large flows of water without allowing particulates to enter the drain. Besides being virtually unnoticeable, they don't catch wheels or pose a slip hazard. Slot drains are available in various sizes from Gatic and Zurn; slot drain accessories are also offered to adapt trench drains into slot drains.
Hospitals and laboratories call for sterile environments, making stainless steel trench drains and grates the first choice when drainage is concerned. Stainless steel is bacteria resistant because it is easy to clean; it is also resistant to chemicals and high temperatures. Stainless steel edging and grating is available for all channels and can be designed for pedestrian or fork truck traffic.
- Custom Stainless Steel Drains allow you to build a stainless system to match your project's requirements. Custom drains allow you to adjust slope, width, outlet and grating as needed.
- Zurn Sani-Flo drains are modular stainless steel systems that offer a standard variety of stainless grating to complement 6" or 12" channels.
- JR Smith 9660 Series incorporates a stainless steel channel body with pre-sloped modular channels to make a versatile drainage system that can be used in sterile environments.
If stainless steel doesn't fit your budget, however, consider using a vinylester polymer concrete product in applications where corrosive chemicals and high temperatures may be present. Hubbell offers Polycast channels reinforced with vinylester resin for more demanding chemical applications.
Utility trenches are available for applications where power and communication lines need to be run in the floor for easy access. Zurn Utility Systems, with their variety of sizes and materials, are a popular choice for utility trenches.
Community and Streetscapes
Trench drain systems designed for high foot traffic areas such as sidewalks and streetscapes are built with safety and style in mind. In heavily trafficked pedestrian areas, ADA compliant grating is specified by the architect. Heel-proof grates, with perforations smaller than 3/8" diameter, are becoming common on sidewalks, in front of buildings, and anywhere high heeled shoes might be worn by residents or clientele.
The shift toward safety in surface drainage led to innovation among grating manufacturers, creating new products focused on aesthetics as well as practicality. Decorative metal and reinforced stone grating are becoming popular drain covers for handling both foot and vehicular traffic. Grating options are growing, offering many colors and styles to choose from to match the surrounding architecture, among them:
- Iron Age Designs, popular with architects and commercial contractors, is becoming known for its growing selection of ADA or heel-proof grates. The cast iron foundry offers decorative trench drain grates and tree grates for the streetscape market.
- Jonite supplies stone-reinforced architectural grating in 16 colors. Though new to North American markets, Jonite grates already stand out in Europe and Asia as an option both stylish and durable for urban courtyards and sidewalks.
Steel mills, cement plants and petrochemical plants are harsh environments for most equipment. Repetitive exposure to heavy equipment and corrosive conditions necessitate the use of heavy duty trench drain products. Because of the industrial application, grating options are limited to grates with an appropriate width and thickness to handle the traffic.
Trench Drain Systems represents a number of manufacturers and foundries that specialize in industrial trench drains:
- Cast-in-place foundry trench drains use cast or ductile iron slotted grates and frames. Set in a wooden form during installation, these drains can be customized with a little imagination but are rarely sloped and often square-bottomed.
- Pre-sloped channel forming systems, such as EconoDrain, are available that will adapt to most grates. Pre-made forms also make the trench installation easier.
- Zurn's solid cast iron trench drains are available for interior industrial drainage. Modular and non-sloping, these drains are 6" or 12" wide and are commonly specified in military applications.
Open spaces like those found in resorts, casinos, water parks, theme parks and national parks all gather large quantities of water during rainfall. If unprotected, these spaces become unsightly slip hazards. While also requiring functionality, these locations demand a drainage system that is "people friendly" and aesthetically pleasing.
Installed in key points, trench drains can drain the water effectively and redirect it to the storm sewer. Many systems are available that can be used to make the trench; however, the products commonly found in these venues have specialty grating which complements the architecture.
- Radius grating is becoming popular around pools, fountains and meandering walkways. Though not a standardized product, many radii choices exist to fit common requests. Iron Age Designs and Jonite offer radius grating.
- Special grating materials like reinforced stone, brass, or bronze are frequently a part of the drain design. Cast ornamental grates are also available in a number of patterns and widths.
Specialty grates often require a cast-in-place or former system. For design assistance, give the knowledgeable staff at Trench Drain Systems a call today: call 866-570-2333 with any questions you have about the grating options listed above or the application.
Rain alters the chlorine levels in outdoor pools and makes playing on open grass or turf difficult, if not impossible. Playing on sodden ground increases the likelihood of mud, damaged turf, and player injury. Tennis courts, pools, golf courses and athletic fields all are designed to quickly remove rain water.
Trench drain has a big role in keeping sport tracks and fields well drained. Pre-sloped and non-sloped systems are commonly used in these applications. Standard pedestrian and light vehicular traffic slotted grating is often used in sporting venues. Galvanized steel and HDPE grating are a common grating material choice, but heavier duty cast iron or reinforced steel grating can be specified in areas where a higher volume of wheeled traffic will occur.
- NDS Dura Slope is a sturdy plastic drain with standard plastic grating that can be upgraded in high traffic areas. Ductile iron grates ensure the drain will withstand the weight of carts and camera crews moving on and off-field.
- MEA-Josam's Pro-Plus system is a lightweight drain with grating options capable of handling heavy traffic in sports venues.
For a running track application, products are available specifically designed to be used in an oval track setting. Consider using a radius drain or a drainage system with radius couplers, like Dura Slope.
For a project on a tight budget, PVC or HDPE drains can be installed that offer a grating color selection. Plastic-bodied drains by Zurn and NDS have several colors of plastic grating options and come in several widths from 1-6 inches.
For Olympic pools and shower room applications, plastic and stainless steel grating products are popular because of their ability to withstand bacteria-fighting cleansers. The materials are also safe for bare feet.
For questions not answered above, call the friendly Trench Drain Systems staff, toll-free at 86-570-2333, and ask about sports trench drains.